WARM INSIDE...GREAT OUTDOORS
New in 2018: DDA District members can use the township
Downtown Highland businesses have the option of utilizing the Digital Sign located within the Downtown Highland, DDA District at NO COST!
Businesses can choose one or two weeks per year to create an advertisement highlighting a special event or occasion. Examples include: Grand Openings, Special Anniversaries and Events. The Highland DDA determines what is acceptable to place on the sign.
Businesses cannot advertise merchandise (example: Bird Seed $2.00 per pound)
Computer file requirements: .jpg, .png, .gif or .tiff formats. All artwork must be ready to go. The HDDA is not responsible for designing advertisements. (Please remember that the digital sign scrolls, this does not guarantee exclusivity.)
HIGHLAND DDA - ESTABLISHED 2004
In 2004 the DDA/TIF (Downtown Development Area/Tax Increment Financing) agreement was put into place and Highland’s DDA was created. The DDA is a designated area that allows a “capture” of tax dollars to finance projects that encourage economic development. The “capture” of DDA tax dollars is the difference between the 2004 “base” value and today’s “taxable” value. Only the increase - or decrease is “captured” thus encouraging a motivated DDA board. This does not increase taxes. In Highland the DDA “captures” Oakland County and OCC tax dollars that would otherwise go into Oakland county and OCC budgets. The DDA also “captures” from Highland General, Fire, Police and Library tax dollars.
Some projects financed by the DDA include lamp posts, sidewalks, road paving, signage, business, building facade improvements and community events such as concerts and the December tree lighting.
There is not a township wide millage for the DDA. Millages are taxed over the entire township. The DDA capture only affects the parcels within the DDA. DDA boundaries are up & down Milford Road starting at Wardlow to the North and ending just before Rowe to the South. It also includes the Library to Save- A-Lot along M 59 and on Livingston from the railroad tracks to the Fire Hall.
The goal of a DDA is to encourage economic growth in a designated area resulting in increased value – hopefully affecting surrounding areas too.
Who we are & what we do: The HDDA is comprised of residents, business owners, property owners, industry owners/operators, and community leaders. We are dedicated to historic preservation and the promotion of economic growth in Highland Station and the surrounding business district, while remaining sensitive to those individuals already living and working in the area.
We strive to implement our plans and advocate for improvements to the area. Our organization seeks out volunteers as well as community and regional partners with a variety of skills, talent and perspectives. We also actively cultivate new leadership to ensure ongoing energy and enthusiasm for our community revitalization activities.
The Highland Township Downtown Development Authority (HDDA) is a public corporate entity dedicated to the revitalization of the Highland Station area and its surrounding commercial and industrial district.
We are committed to building an effective partnership between the Township, private property owners, residents and business owners that will result in a vibrant, unique identity for Highland.
What we see for the future: Our vision for the Highland Station district is one of a charming modern hamlet where attractive historical homes, vibrant small businesses and healthy lifestyle amenities appeal to people of all ages, returning Highland Station to its place as the center of our community and a destination within the region. Highland Station will be an active place that promotes health, fitness and an appreciation for the natural environment as well as a center for the expression and enjoyment of the arts and a meeting place for exchange of ideas and information. Highland Station will be an oasis and sanctuary from the intense automobile-driven development along the M-59 corridor and will exude a tangible feel and flavor that uplifts the body and soul.
Highland Township was established by an act of Michigan's Territorial Legislature on March 17, 1835. It was so named because of its elevated position, containing some of the highest land in the then-settled part of the state. The northern part of the Township drains into the Shiawasee River watershed, leading to Saginaw Bay, while the southern portion drains into the Huron River via Pettibone Creek, and thence to Lake Erie.
Settlement of Highland began even before the Township's formal creation, with the first purchase of government land being made by Naham Curtis on September 6, 1832. Over the next eight years a steady stream of other settlers arrived, including members of the Adams, Armstrong, Beach, Dunham, Leonard, Lockwood, Stratton and Tenny families; many of whose descendants still reside in the area. By the time of the 1840 Census Highland had a population of over 560 residents.
The original "Village of Highland" (later known as "Spring Mills") was located at what is now the intersection of M-59 and Harvey Lake Road, where the waters of Pettibone Creek provided power for both a grist mill and cider mill. With the completion of the Flint & Pere Marquette (now CSX) Railroad in the early 1870's, however, the focus of development shifted west to what is still known as "Highland Station," centered at the intersection of Milford and Livingston Roads. This historic area formerly included a depot, post office, grain elevator, pickle works, and wind-powered planing mill, in addition to the Victorian-era churches, homes and businesses which survive to this day. The railroad was likewise responsible for the establishment of the Village of Clyde; a once-busy post-office in the northern part of the Township.
Recreation began to replace agriculture in the early 20th century, as both residents and out-of-town "cottagers" began to appreciate the recreational value of Highland's numerous lakes, including Duck Lake and the western half of White Lake. The Township is also home to Dodge Brothers State Park No. 10, as well as part of the former Edsel Ford estate of "Haven Hill," which collectively constitute the Highland State Recreation Area.
For more information visit the Highland Township Historical Society visit http://www.highlandtownshiphistoricalsociety.com
There you will find a detailed Township history, 1840 Census transcript, historic photographs and links to other Highland-related information.
MAIN STREET OAKLAND COUNTY
Highland was named a Main Street Oakland County (MSOC) community on September 21, 2005. MSOC is an economic development program, specifically targeted to provide downtown management training and technical assistance to the 30 traditional downtowns in the County. Their mission is "to maximize the economic potential and to preserve the heritage and sense of place of Oakland County's historic commercial districts by encouraging and facilitating the use of the Main Street Four Point Approach which emphasizes economic development within the context of historic preservation." The National Trust Main Street Center offers a comprehensive commercial district revitalization strategy that has been widely successful in towns and cities nationwide.
We believe that the Main Street structure is worth adopting! The structure of the governing board (the HDDA) and four subcommittees not only divides the workload and clearly delineates responsibilities, but also builds consensus and cooperation among the various stakeholders. Coincidentally, the four points of the Main Street approach correspond with the four forces of real estate value, which are social, political, physical, and economic.
The HDDA Board is made up of residents, business owners & operators, township officials and staff. Our HDDA Board meets once per month, on the third Wednesday at 6:15 p.m.
Rick Hamill (Township Supervisor)
Roscoe Smith – HDDA Chairperson
Michael Zurek – HDDA Vice-Chair
Christina Hamill – Treasurer
Melissa Dashevich – Executive Director
Karen Beardsley – Recording Secretary
CLICK HERE FOR 2019 BUDGET - SEE PAGE 22
HDDA Board Meeting Schedule
All Meetings are held at 6:15 p.m.
Highland Station House
205 W. Livingston Road, Highland, MI 48357
January 16, 2019
February 20, 2019
March 20, 2019
April 17, 2019
May 15, 2019
June 19, 2019
July 17, 2019
August 21, 2019
September 18, 2019
October 16, 2019
November 20, 2019
4 HDDA COMMITTEES
What does each committee do? Take a look at the annual work plans to find out. Each committee has its own work plan that helps the members stay focused and communicate its activities to the community. All committees are looking for new members. Below are descriptions of each of the four committees. If you are interested in this opportunity to participate in the creation of your community, please call the HDDA office at 248.887.7200 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
This committee clarifies the mission, does strategic planning, defines goals & objectives and manages volunteer force. This Committee meets the third Wednesday of every month at 5:30pm at the Highland Station House, 205 W. Livingston Road.
This committee identifies & defines architectural character, creates design standards and architectural guidelines, supports design, wayfinding & infrastructure improvement programs. Please call if you wish to attend this committee, meeting times vary. This Committee meets the second Monday of each month at 5:00pm at the Highland Station House 205 W. Livingston Road.
This committee prepares market analyses, manages public relations, creates a visual identity/logo, and builds advertising/media/publicity campaigns. This committee meets the third Thursday of each month at 2:45 p.m. at the Highland Township Offices (205 N. John Street).
This committee works to create a broad mix of retail, service and housing, strives for healthy competition among businesses, recruits businesses, identifies opportunities for rehabilitation and/or development. This committee meets the second Tuesday of each month at 10:30 a.m. at the Highland Station House (205 W. Livingston).